Canadian Food Inspection Agency
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has partnered with IFPTI to develop Competency-Based Training Frameworks* for its regulatory officials working in an advisory, inspector, or laboratory role (shown below). In particular, IFPTI has been working with a team of CFIA subject matter experts to identify the required competencies (knowledge, skills, and abilities) for its regulatory officials at different professional levels and in different areas of specialization. These Training Frameworks will help the CFIA:
- ensure consistent performance expectations and evaluations
- increase confidence in the outcomes of activities supporting compliance verification (e.g. laboratory testing, product or facility inspections or audits, etc.)
- develop tools to assess the knowledge, skills, and abilities of regulatory officials against standardized competencies
- identify training gaps and develop missing learning events or experiences;
- catalog existing learning events or experiences (training, courses, etc.)
- create career-spanning professional development learning paths for its employees.
* CFIA refers to Curriculum Frameworks as Training Frameworks.