FELLOWSHIP IN FOOD PROTECTION:
Leadership Development for an Integrated Food Safety System
The IFPTI Fellowship Program is a unique, year-long program for food protection professionals who want to make a positive impact on the profession through association membership, advocacy, and applied leadership.
This Program takes a multifaceted approach incorporating three on-location weeklong sessions, periodic webinars, and a mentor-guided research project. This program is guided by recognized leaders in food protection and focuses on the areas of Professional Skills, Program Management, and Applied Leadership.
The Fellowship has over 75 alumni from federal, state, and local regulatory food protection agencies, and we are now welcoming applications for Cohort IX until March 1, 2020.
COHORT VIII DATES
- Applications due: May 01, 2019
- Cohort VIII announced: May 30, 2019
- Week 1: September 15-20, 2019
- Week 2: December 02-06, 2019
- Week 3: March 23-27, 2020
- AFDO Conference: Glendale, AZ: June 27 – July 1, 2020
COHORT IX DATES
- Applications due: March 01, 2020
WHY IT’S UNIQUE
- Fellows are paired with a food protection mentor, who provides Fellows with one-on-one advice and assistance related to the Fellows’ research projects and who helps them develop professional growth plans that can lead to long-term career growth and leadership enhancement.
- A guided research project, presentation, and publication are completed by each Fellow over the year-long course. Fellowship Program original research project findings are published in a special edition of the Association of Food and Drug Officials (AFDO) Journal and presented at the AFDO Annual Educational Conference.
- Networking one-on-one with current and future federal, state, and local food protection leaders.
- The Fellowship Program is offered at no cost for selected U.S. participants. U.S. Fellows are reimbursed for all appropriate program travel expenses according to IFPTI’s travel policy.
- Fellows receive 16.6 IACET CEUs upon completion of the program.
WHAT THE IFPTI FELLOWSHIP MEANS TO THE FELLOWS
Fellows who complete the IFPTI Fellowship program represent the next generation of leaders ready to meet new challenges in a climate of dynamic and continuous change. The following statistics offer some key insights into the program’s immediate and lasting value to the Fellows:
- 79% indicated receiving a promotion or being given more responsibilities within their regulatory agency, department, or division.
- 82% have delivered presentations at professional conferences or workshops.
- 80% have become more active in professional associations or work committees, with many assuming an increased leadership role.
- 97% indicated using the designation “IFPTI Fellow” on their professional bios or with regulatory colleagues or stakeholders.
Fellows, Alumni Fellows, Mentors, Instructors, and IFPTI Staff at the 2019 AFDO Conference in Atlanta, GA.